Described variously as rising dough, molten lava and a stone lung, Gaudi´s La Pedrera has become one of Barcelona’s best-loved buildings, and is adored by architects for its extraordinary structure.
- Provença, 261-265
M: Diagonal (L3, L5)
- Feb 27 – Nov 2: Daily 9am-8.30pm; Last admission at 8pm.
- €20.50; €16.50 reductions; €10.25 7-12 years; free under-7s
Big Ben, Eiffel tour, most cities have their own unique monument. Barcelona has Gaudí´s Sagrada Familia.
- Mallorca, 401, Eixample
M: Sagrada Família (L2, L5)
- Opening hours: Nov – Feb: 9 am to 6 pm. / March and October: 9 am to 7 pm. / April-September: 9 am to 8 pm. / 25 and 26 December, 1 and 6 January: 9 am to 2 pm.
- Tickets from €17. Tour with guide €26. Self-guided audio tour €25
No club in football history has achieved what Pep Guardiola’s men managed in 2009: six tournaments, six trophies. ‘Lose and you’ll still be the best team in the world; win, and you’ll be eternal.’
- Aristides Maillol, s/n, Les Corts
- Opening hours: Sep-Jun: Mon-Thu 9am-1.30pm, 3.30-6pm; Fri 9am-2.30pm; Sat 9am-1.30pm. Aug:
- Mon-Fri 8.30am-2.30pm; from 11am match daysTransport: Collblanc (M: L5); Palau Reial (M: L3)Price: €19-€225. Advance tickets for league games available from ServiCaixa
Gaudí and his long-time collaborator Josep Maria Jujol took an ordinary apartment block and remodelled it inside and out for textile tycoon Josep Batlló between 1902 and 1906. The result was one of the most impressive and admired of all Gaudí’s creations.
- Pg. de Gràcia, 43, Eixample
- Metro: Passeig de Gràcia (L2, L3, L4), Provença (FGC)
- 9am-9pm daily
- €22.50; €19.50 ages 7-18, seniors, and students; free under-7s
Pez Vela is the perfect place to enjoy a simple cuisine built around fresh, grilled fish, rice dishes and salads, while relaxing and enjoying the sea view. High cool factor in terms of the crowd and music.
- Pg. del Mare Nostrum, 19, Barceloneta
- M: Barceloneta (L4)
- Thu: 1am–11:30pm, Fri: 1pm–12am, Sat 1pm–12am, Sun, Mon, Tue 1pm-11.30pm
The gourmet area of Cervesa Moritz, in what used to be the old factory, is a non-stop food and drink extravaganza. In the brewery area, you can try unpasteurised beer from a beer tap connected directly to a barrel in a microbrewery.
- Ronda Sant Antoni, 39, L´Eixample
- M: Paral·lel (L2, L3)
- Mon-Sun 6am-3am
This ambitious venue houses a café, a top-quality restaurant and two different areas at night: the Club, which seeks to unite New York and Ibiza party nights, using live music and burlesque; and Apotheke, a creative cocktail bar.
- Plaça Reial, 13-15, Gòtic
- M: Liceu (L3)
- Mon, Tue noon-2.30am; Wed, Thu noon-3am; Fri, Sat noon-3.30am; Sun noon-2.30am.
A cosy gastro bar that turns into a trendy cocktail bar at night with funky DJ sessions. Great place to start the night.
- Diagonal, 505, Les Corts
- M: Hospital Clínic (L5)
- Mon-Thu 8am-2.30am; Fri 8am-3.30am; Sat 5pm-3.30am; Sun 5pm-2am
Bars & Dancefloors
Carpe Diem Lounge Club is situated right on the beachfront, with a spectacular decor and international cuisine. It’s the perfect venue to have a drink and dance before heading to next door´s Opium.
- Passeig Marítim, 32, Barceloneta
- M: Ciutadella Park (L4)
- Mon-Thu: 1pm-1am, Fri-Sun: 1pm-4am
Sutton is a gigantic ballroom to dress up and dance amongst a beautiful crowd. Opposite, you find the more expensive Bling Bling with a stricter door policy and older crowd.
- Tuset, 13, Sarrià-Sant Gervasi
- M: Diagonal (L3, L5)
- Wed 9pm-5am; Thu midnight-5.30am; Fri, Sat & night before holidays midnight-6am; Sun 10.30pm-4am
From chocolate fountains to live saxophonists, Opium Mar has got it all. But by far its most popular feature is the beach terrace, which provides the perfect spot to catch the sunrise.
- Pg. Marítim de la Barceloneta, 34, Barceloneta
- M: Ciutadella/Vila Olímpica (L4)